[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Sep 12 23:34:57 UTC 2014

On 09/12/2014 04:59 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com
> <mailto:berrange at redhat.com>> wrote:

>     FYI, for Juno at least I really don't consider that even the libvirt
>     driver got acceptable review times in any sense. The pain of waiting
>     for reviews in libvirt code I've submitted this cycle is what prompted
>     me to start this thread. All the virt drivers are suffering way more
>     than they should be, but those without core team representation suffer
>

> Can't you replace the word 'libvirt code' with 'nova code' and this
> would still be true? Do you think landing virt driver code is harder
> then landing non virt driver code? If so do you have any numbers to back
> this up?
>
> If the issue here is 'landing code in nova is too painful', then we
> should discuss solving that more generalized issue first, and maybe we
> conclude that pulling out the virt drivers gets us the most bang for our
> buck.  But unless we have that more general discussion, saying the right
> fix for that is to spend a large amount of time  working specifically on
> virt driver related issues seems premature.

I agree that this is a nova issue in general, though I suspect that the
virt drivers have quite separate developer communities so maybe they
feel the pain more clearly.  But I think the solution is the same in
both cases:

1) Allow people to be responsible for a subset of the nova code
(scheduler, virt, conductor, compute, or even just a single driver).
They would have significant responsibility for that area of the code.
This would serve several purposes--people with deep domain-specific
knowledge would be able to review code that touches that domain, and it
would free up the nova core team to look at the higher-level picture.
For changes that cross domains, the people from the relevant domains
would need to be involved.

2) Modify the gate tests such that changes that are wholly contained
within a single area of code are not blocked by gate-blocking-bugs in
unrelated areas of the code.

Chris