[openstack-dev] [all] PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=true in tox.ini

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 12 16:23:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-12 17:16:11 +0100 (+0100), Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
[...]
> Agreed, the problem with stale .pyc files is that it never occurs to
> developers that .pyc files are causing the problem until after you've
> wasted (potentially hours of) time debugging the problem. Avoiding
> this pain for all developers out of the box is a clear win overall
> and makes openstack development less painful.

I've been bitten by similar issues often enough that I regularly git
clean -dfx my checkouts or at least pass -r to tox so that it will
recreate its virtualenvs from scratch. Yes it does add some extra
time to the next test run, but you can iterate fairly tightly after
that as long as you're not actively moving stuff around while you
troubleshoot (and coupled with a git hook like Doug described for
cleaning on topic branch changes would be a huge boon as well).
--
Jeremy Stanley