[openstack-dev] [all] PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=true in tox.ini

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 16:06:12 UTC 2014

On Sep 12, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12 2014, Sean Dague wrote:
>
>> Which sets PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=true in the unit tests.
>>
>> This prevents pyc files from being writen in your git tree (win!). It
>> doesn't seem to impact what pip installs... and if anyone knows how to
>> prevent those pyc files from getting created, that would be great.
>>
>> But it's something which hopefully causes less perceived developer
>> fragility of the system.
>
> I understand it's generating .pyc could be something, but I don't really
> like that patch.
>
> I guess the problem is more likely that testrepository load the tests
> From the source directory whereas maybe we could make it load them from
> what's installed into the venv?

we do this in oslo.db by doing an install within tox.ini and then making sure we don’t set usedevelop.  However, oslo.db does this because there’s issues with using namespace packages (e.g. oslo/db, oslo/utils, etc.) when you mix up installs with develop installations.   I hate it, and I’d like to someday solve that problem differently (locally I will often manually craft a test environment with PYTHONPATH just to avoid it).  I run different test runners based on what I’m trying to do and I skip tox for running individual tests, so this behavior gets in my way constantly, whereas the .pyc file issue almost never.

So IMO this approach as a means to get around the infrequent .pyc annoyance introduces lots more inconvenience than it saves.