[openstack-dev] [qa] Tempest Bug triage

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 13:41:54 UTC 2014

On 09/12/2014 05:11 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 03:52:56PM -0400, David Kranz wrote:
>> So we had a Bug Day this week and the results were a bit disappointing due
>> to lack of participation. We went from 124 New bugs to 75.
>>
>> There were also many cases where bugs referred to logs that no longer
>> existed. This suggests that we really need to keep up with bug triage
>> in real time.
> Alternatively, strongly recommend people to post *contextual* logs to
> the bug, so they're there for reference forever and makes life less
> painful while triaging bugs. Many times bugs are just filed in a hurry,
> posting a quick bunch of logstash URLs which expires sooner or later.
>
> Sure, posting contextual logs takes time, but as you can well imagine,
> it results in higher quality reports (hopefully), and saves time for
> others who have to take a fresh look at the bug and have to begin with
> the maze of logs.
This would be "in addition to", not alternatively. Of course better bug
reports with as much information as possible, with understanding of how
long log files will be retained, etc. would always be better. But due to
the sorry state we are now in, it is simply unrealistic to expect people
to start investigating failures in code they do not understand that are
obviously unrelated to the code they are trying to babysit through the
gate. I wish it were otherwise, and believe this may change as  we
achieve the goal of focusing our test time on tests that are related to
the code being tested (in-project functional testing).

The purpose of rotating bug triage is that it was not happening at all.
When there is a not-so-much-fun task for which every one is responsible,
no one is responsible. It is better to share the load in a well
understood way and know who has taken on responsibility at any point in
time.

  -David