[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit planning

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 12 11:37:16 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I visited the Paris Design Summit space on Monday and confirmed that it
should be possible to split it in a way that would allow to have
per-program "contributors meetups" on the Friday. The schedule would go
as follows:

Tuesday: cross-project workshops
Wednesday, Thursday: traditional "scheduled" slots
Friday: contributors meetups

We'll also have "pods" available all 4 days for more ad-hoc small meetings.

In the mean time, we need to discuss how we want to handle the selection
of session topics.

In past summits we used a Design-Summit-specific "session suggestion"
website, and PTLs would approve/deny them. This setup grew less and less
useful: session topics were selected collaboratively on etherpads,
discussed in meetings, and finally filed/reorganized/merged on the
website just before scheduling. Furthermore, with even less "scheduled"
slots, we would have to reject most of the suggestions, which is more
frustrating for submitters than the positive experience of joining team
meetings to discuss which topics are the most important. Finally, topics
will need to be split between "scheduled" sessions and the "contributors
meetup" agenda, and that's easier to do on an Etherpad anyway.

This is why I'd like to suggest that all programs use etherpads to
collect important topics, select which ones would get in the very few
"scheduled" slots we'll have left, which will get discussed in the
"contributors meetup", and which are better left for a "pod" discussion.
I suggest we all use IRC team meetings to collaboratively discuss that
content between interested contributors.

To simplify the communication around this, I tried to collect the
already-announced etherpads on a single page at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Summit/Planning

Please add any that I missed !

If you think this is wrong and think the "design summit suggestion"
website is a better way to do it, let me know why! If some programs
really can't stand the 'etherpad/IRC' approach I'll see how we can spin
up a limited instance.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)