[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Sep 12 01:29:33 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-09-11 15:21:26 -0700:
> On 09/09/14 19:56, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Samuel Merritt's message of 2014-09-09 16:12:09 -0700:

> >> Whether Zaqar is more like AMQP or more like email is a really strange
> >> metric to use for considering its inclusion.
> >>
> >> Let me put on my web application developer's hat. Whenever I've worked
> >> on a web app, I've invariably wound up needing HTTP servers, background
> >> workers, and some sort of queue to connect the two.
> >>
> >> I've done the thing where I've stored queue entries in the app's
> >> database and had the workers poll for jobs; the load adds up
> >> surprisingly fast, and it's got some bad positive-feedback failure
> >> modes. However, it is nice and durable, so my app doesn't lose messages.
> >>
> >> I've done the thing where I've thrown together a VM and stuck Redis or
> >> rabbitmq or beanstalkd on it. That gets me nice, fast queues, but no
> >> semblance of reliability. If that one VM dies, all my queued messages
> >> are lost.
> >>
> >> Then there's Zaqar, which is this nice HTTP API that I can use for my
> >> application's queues. I go and make a couple of POST requests and now
> >> I've got some queues for my application to use. My app servers POST
> >> messages to their queues, and my background workers sit and make GET
> >> requests for messages to process. I can have the whole thing up and
> >> running in a few hours. Better yet, I barely have to monitor the thing.
> >> I can poll for queue stats every few minutes and alert if the queue gets
> >> too full, but that's all I've got to do. I don't have to worry about my
> >> queue VM going into swap, or my queue VM's NIC getting saturated, or
> >> kernel panics, or automatically promoting rabbitmq slaves to masters, or
> >> waking up at 3 AM to fix my app when I lose messages during a rabbitmq
> >> promotion, or any of that stuff. Using Zaqar means I can just worry
> >> about my application and leave all that other garbage to my cloud provider.
> >
> > What you just described is the queue pattern I spoke of.
> >
> > It does not require random access by message ID in any way shape or
> > form. It is also well served by AMQP. I wonder if people are still
> > confused by Zaqar's API and architecture because this would be fine for
> > an architecture if what you describe above were the requirements:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/yonloa9ytlf8fdh/ZaqarQueueOnly.png?dl=0
> >
> > Just stick a REST shim in front of AMQP that enforces tenant permissions
> > and maps logical "zaqar queues" to whatever the backend serving queue is.
> >
> > So why would we need a NoSQL database for the data itself if all we are
> > doing is shoving messages in and taking them out the other end?
>
> This was one of the ideas suggested by the TC at the last graduation
> review (or was it the incubation review? I forget). The Zaqar team
> looked into it and this was the outcome (for now):
>
> http://blog.flaper87.com/post/marconi-amqp-see-you-later/

I've just re-read that, and it still feels the same as the first time:
this feels like justification for the current body of work, instead of
analysis for the necessity for the current feature set or feasibility of
scaling it.

"The third motivation is something that Marconi brings to traditional
brokers. With Marconi, it's possible to add per-queue sharding
capabilities to traditional brokers. By using Marconi's pools and flavors
it is possible to create separate clusters of storage that will be used
cooperatively based on the pool settings."

This statement does not seem use-case driven. It appears to be supporting
the current implementation which, I assume, was done to work around
the problem of databases not being able to scale like a queue. Users
will just want to be able to reason about the messaging guarantees like
"delivered at least once" and durability.

Meanwhile there are quite a few message brokers that can scale in the
same way, that Zaqar wouldn't even have to model.

"The API was designed to be browsable but without sacrificing the
"messaging" feel of every queuing system. New things are being added to
make it more message based without sacrificing browsability."

This browsability is, at its core, the thing that concerns me and probably
others who are expressing their opinions. It's not that we don't think
it can be done, but we don't think it should be done when there are so
many use cases solved by a regular old message queue.

The fact that sessions are a part of AMQP makes it complicated to
emulate over HTTP when messages need to be ACK'd. However, it seems
pretty straight forward to me to have session ID as part of the API, and
to have an RPC bus like we do now for our usual OpenStack services that
has a topic per session. Then have the API frontends speaking over that
bus, pushing ACK's down that topic to a backend engine that maintains
the session. This is double-messaging for everything, which I wish I
could think of a better solution for, but it is still lighter weight
than putting all of the messages into a database.

Finally, two of the main sections in that article state "Store and
Forward" and "Message access by ID" are important to Zaqar. Those two
concepts are SMTP and IMAP in a nutshell. It still kind of boggles
my mind that these weren't considered as backends, given that their
protocols even match reasonably well to the parts of Zaqar's API that
pertain to messages. They may not be sexy, but I'd be quite surprised
if there wasn't an SMTP+IMAP combination out there that can scale at
least as cost effectively as Redis.

Anyway, I stand by my original feeling that Zaqar needs to do one
thing well, and currently it looks to be attempting to do one thing
well (inbox style messaging) and another thing (simple message queue)
as well as can be done while working inside the same constraints as
inbox style messaging.