[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Sep 11 18:24:27 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 12:02 PM, Dan Prince wrote:

> Maybe I'm impatient (I totally am!) but I see much of the review
> slowdown as a result of the feedback loop times increasing over the
> years. OpenStack has some really great CI and testing but I think our
> focus on not breaking things actually has us painted into a corner. We
> are losing our agility and the review process is paying the price. At
> this point I think splitting out the virt drivers would be more of a
> distraction than a help.

I think the only solution to feedback loop times increasing is to scale
the review process, which I think means giving more people
responsibility for a smaller amount of code.

I don't think it's strictly necessary to split the code out into a
totally separate repo, but I do think it would make sense to have
changes that are entirely contained within a virt driver be reviewed
only by developers of that virt driver rather than requiring review by
the project as a whole.  And they should only have to pass a subset of
the CI testing--that way they wouldn't be held up by gating bugs in
other areas.

Chris