[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Sep 11 13:30:34 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 09:09 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:

> On 9/11/14, 2:55 PM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>> Sean Dague wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Why don't we start with "let's clean up the virt interface and make it
>>> more sane", as I don't think there is any disagreement there. If it's
>>> going to take a cycle, it's going to take a cycle anyway (it will
>>> probably take 2 cycles, realistically, we always underestimate these
>>> things, remember when no-db-compute was going to be 1 cycle?). I don't
>>> see the need to actually decide here and now that the split is clearly
>>> at least 7 - 12 months away. A lot happens in the intervening time.
>>
>> Yes, that sounds like the logical next step. We can't split drivers
>> without first doing that anyway. I still think "people need smaller
>> areas of work", as Vish eloquently put it. I still hope that refactoring
>> our test architecture will let us reach the same level of quality with
>> only a fraction of the tests being run at the gate, which should address
>> most of the harm you see in adding additional repositories. But I agree
>> there is little point in discussing splitting virt drivers (or anything
>> else, really) until the internal interface below that potential split is
>> fully cleaned up and it becomes an option.
>
> How about we start to try and patch gerrit to provide +2 permissions for
> people
> Who can be assigned Œdriver core¹ status. This is something that is
> relevant to Nova and Neutron and I guess Cinder too.

If you think that's the right solution, I'd say go and investigate it
with folks that understand enough gerrit internals to be able to figure
out how hard it would be. Start a conversation in #openstack-infra to
explore it.

My expectation is that there is more complexity there than you give it
credit for. That being said one of the biggest limitations we've had on
gerrit changes is we've effectively only got one community member, Kai,
who does any of that. If other people, or teams, were willing to dig in
and own things like this, that might be really helpful.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net