[openstack-dev] adding RSS feeds to specs repositories

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Sep 10 20:54:27 UTC 2014

I have completed a series of patches [1] for (I think) all of the specs repositories to add RSS feeds so that when specs are approved and merged they are easily publicized.

The feeds are generated using a new sphinx plugin yasfb ("yet another sphinx feed builder”). There is no need to explicitly add publication dates or list the files to appear in the feed. The full content (minus the H1 tags) of every page that is rendered to HTML (except pages named “index”) will appear in the feed with its git commit date as the publication date.

The yasfb plugin is not in our global requirements, yet, but because we now have a full PyPI mirror the doc build job used by the specs repositories can install the package anyway. Since the specs are not part of the release, it’s not really clear if we ever need to add yasfb to the global requirements list, but I have submitted a patch to do that for after the current dependency freeze is lifted [2].

The changes are broken up into 3 patches for most of the repositories:

1. Add the RSS feed itself using yasfb.
2. Clean up the toctrees to remove templates, examples, test files, etc. so those do not appear in the RSS feeds.
3. Automatically update the copyright date for specs as the HTML files are built.

The URL for an RSS feed for a specs repository will be something like:

  http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/rss.xml

I originally thought we would want to add these feeds to planet.openstack.org, but given the length of some of the specs I’m less sure of that. Instead, now I think it would be better to publicize the list of URLs for people who want to subscribe to some or all of them separately. After some of them land and we have a few feeds published, I will find a good place to do that.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:rss-feed,n,z
[2] https://review.openstack.org/120199