[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Sep 10 17:29:06 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 12:36 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> How can the average deployer know whether a stackforge is
>
> a.      An early prototype which has completed (such as some of the
> early LBaaS packages)
>
> b.      A project which has lost its initial steam and further
> investment is not foreseen
>
> c.      A reliable project where there has not been a significant need
> to change recently but is a good long term bet

This pops up often and to me it looks like a software procurement issue,
something that the 'buyer' needs to be able to sort out either with the
help of their vendors (distributions or system integrators), or if they
go DIY, with other instruments to check code quality, level of support
by the community, professional support etc (there are a few EU funded
researches and tools, like http://qualipso.icmc.usp.br/OMM/).

Why do you think any open source project should be in the business of
providing such assurances? Isn't that a role more suitable for the
commercial ecosystem?

/stef