[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Deploy upstream OpenStack by Fuel

Vitaly Parakhin vparakhin at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 10 14:01:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

let us give the latest status on deploy upstream OpenStack by Fuel [1].

We consider a several use cases:

   1.

   I want to build Fuel ISO with latest pre-built OpenStack vanilla
   packages. In this case packages will be downloaded from repository, which
   is automatically built on daily basis.
   2.

   I want to build Fuel ISO with upstream OpenStack code locally. So, all
   OpenStack packages will be build locally.
   3.

   I want to build Fuel ISO with already built packages, but with the use
   of my own fork of one or more OpenStack components (e.g. Nova)
   4.

   I want to build a package of my implementation of OpenStack component
   and make it available on already running Fuel Master node, so I can
   immediately start deployment of new environments with this new package
   -

      requires repo rebuild on master node
      5.

   I want to patch already running OpenStack environment by my
   implementation of OpenStack component, doing it by OpenStack patching
   feature in Fuel [2]
   -

      In this case flow would look like: package build -> repo update ->
      patch environment in automated manner, delivering the code in minutes to
      the running environment

#1 - #3 are covered by [1]. For #4, #5 blueprints to be created.

Currently, cases #1-#3 are implemented for RPM packages of OpenStack, with
one prerequisite - you have to apply changes from [4] to fuel-main repo
before building a Fuel ISO with OpenStack packages from master.

For more details on configuration parameters and "make iso" examples,
please refer to [3]

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/openstack-from-master

[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/patch-openstack

[3]  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fuel-build-rpms-from-anywhere

[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/116667/

We will be very welcome to hear more ideas on this.

--
Regards,
Vitaly Parakhin.