[openstack-dev] [zaqar] Juno Performance Testing (Round 2)

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 11:16:24 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 09:19 PM, Kurt Griffiths wrote:
> [...]
>
> ### Task Distribution ###
>
> This test uses several producers and consumers in order to simulate
> distributing tasks to a worker pool. In contrast to the observer worker
> type, consumers claim and delete messages in such a way that each message
> is processed once and only once.

>     * 2 producer processes with 25 gevent workers
>         * 1 message posted per request
>     * 2 consumer processes with 25 gevent workers
>         * 5 messages claimed per request, then deleted one by one before
>           claiming the next batch of messages
>     * Load distributed across 4 queues
>     * 10-second duration
>
> Results
>     * Redis
>         * Producer: 1.5 ms/req, 1280 req/sec
>         * Consumer
>             * Claim: 6.9 ms/req
>             * Delete: 1.5 ms/req
>             * 1257 req/sec (overall)
>
>     * Mongo
>         * Producer: 2.5 ms/req, 798 req/sec
>         * Consumer
>             * Claim: 8.4 ms/req
>             * Delete: 2.5 ms/req
>             * 813 req/sec (overall)
>
> ### Auditing / Diagnostics ###
>
> This test is the same as performed in Task Distribution, but also adds a
> few observers to the mix.
>
> When testing the Redis driver, I varied whether or not keep-alive was
> enabled in the uWSGI config. The impact on performance was negligble,
> perhaps due to the speed of the test network and the fact that TLS is not
> being used in these tests.

>     * 2 producer processes with 25 gevent workers each
>         * 1 message posted per request
>     * 2 consumer processes with 25 gevent workers each
>         * 5 messages claimed per request, then deleted one by one before
>           claiming the next batch of messages
>     * 1 observer process with 5 gevent workers
>         * 5 messages listed per request
>     * Load distributed across 4 queues
>     * 10-second duration
>
> Results
>     * Redis (Keep-Alive)
>         * Producer: 1.6 ms/req, 1275 req/sec
>         * Consumer
>             * Claim: 7.0 ms/req
>             * Delete: 1.5 ms/req
>             * 1217 req/sec (overall)
>         * Observer: 3.5 ms/req, 282 req/sec
>     * Redis (No Keep-Alive)
>         * Producer: 1.6 ms/req, 1255 req/sec
>         * Consumer
>             * Claim: 7.0 ms/req
>             * Delete: 1.6 ms/req
>             * 1202 req/sec (overall)
>         * Observer: 3.4 ms/req, 281 req/sec
>     * Mongo (Keep-Alive)
>         * Producer: 2.2 ms/req, 878 req/sec
>         * Consumer
>             * Claim: 8.2 ms/req
>             * Delete: 2.3 ms/req
>             * 876 req/sec (overall)
>         * Observer: 7.4 ms/req, 133 req/sec
>
> ## Thoughts ##
>
> The Redis driver appears to have a significant performance advantage over
> the MongoDB driver. Further gains in performance could no doubt be made by
> taking advantage of Redis' Lua-based scripting ability, which is not

You mentioned we need redis >= 2.6 for this, right?

Trusty ships 2.8
Fedora-20 2.6
Fedora-21 2.8

There's also a package for EPEL but it's 2.4. I think it can be updated
but we'll have to talk to the maintainer.

That said, I think depending on 2.6 and experimenting with Lua scripts
is doable.

> In any case, both NoSQL[7] servers performed admirably in these tests. I
> suspect that we will be able to achieve the project's goals without having
> to resort to something more low-level (e.g., LevelDB).
>
> Finally, I just wanted to note that as I've been using the zaqar-benchmark
> tool, I've found it useful for smoke testing in preparation for the Juno
> RC, as it exercises several common messaging patterns, making use of all
> of Zaqar's semantics, and does so with lots of concurrent requests, which
> helps ensure the service doesn't have any subtle race conditions.

Hey Kurt,

Thanks again for driving this effort. These numbers are really encouraging.

I've collected the information from both performance tests and put it in
the project's wiki[0] Please, double check :D

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Zaqar/Performance

Flavio

> --Kurt
>

> ===========
> [1]: IMO, it would be great to see Redis implement optional support for
> majority-based ACK ala MongoDB.
> [2]: Yes, I know that's some crazy IOPS, but there is plenty of RAM to
> avoid paging, so you should be able to get similar results with some
> regular disks, assuming they are decent enough to support enabling
> journaling (if you need that level of durability).
> [3]: One might argue that the only thing these performance tests show
> is that *OnMetal* is fast. However, as I have pointed out, there was plenty
> of headroom left on these servers during the tests, so similar results
> should be achievable using more modest hardware.
> [4]: In a real app, messages will usually be requested in batches.
> [5]: In this test, the target client does not send a response message back
> to the sender. However, if it did, the test would still only require a
> single queue, since in Zaqar queues are duplex (although this can be
> disabled by setting echo=True in the query string when listing messages).
> [6]: Chosen somewhat arbitrarily.

@flaper87
Flavio Percoco