[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 08:44:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 05:14:43PM -0700, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> > To me, this means you don't really want a sin bin where you dump
> > drivers and tell them not to come out until they're fit to be
> > reviewed by the core; You want a trusted driver community which does
> > its own reviews and means the core doesn't have to review them.
>
> I think we're going somewhere here, based on your comment and other's:
> we may achieve some result if we empower a new set of people to manage
> drivers, keeping them in the same repositories where they are now. This
> new set of people may not be the current core reviewers but other with
> different skillsets and more capable of understanding the driver's
> ecosystem, needs, motivations, etc.
>
> I have the impression this idea has been circling around for a while but
> for some reason or another (like lack of capabilities in gerrit and
> other reasons) we never tried to implement it. Maybe it's time to think
> about an implementation. We have been thinking about mentors
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mentors, maybe that's a way to go?
> Sub-team with +1.5 scoring capabilities?

I think that setting up subteams is neccessary to stop us imploding but
I don't think it is enough. As long as we have one repo we're forever
going to have conflict & contention in deciding which features to accept,
which is a big factor in problems today. I favour the strong split of the
drivers into separate repositories to remove the contente between the
teams as much as is practical.

Regards,
Daniel