[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 01:40:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Boris Pavlovic <boris at pavlovic.me> wrote:

> Devananda,
>>

>> While that is de rigueur today, it's actually at the core of the
>> current problem space. Blessing a project by integrating it is not a
>> scalable long-term solution. We don't have a model to integrate >1
>> project for the same space // of the same type, or to bless the
>> stability of a non-integrated project. You won't see two messaging
>> services, or two compute services, in the integrated release. In fact,
>> integration is supposed to occur only *after* the community has sorted
>> out "a winner" within a given space. In my view, it should also happen
>> only after the community has proven a project to be stable and
>> scalable in production.
>

> After looking at such profiles:
> http://boris-42.github.io/ngk.html
> And getting 150 DB requests (without neutron) to create one single VM, I don't believe that set of current integrated OpenStack projects is scalable well. (I mean without customization)

I'm not going to defend the DB performance of Nova or other services.
This thread isn't the place for that discussion.

> So I would like to say 2 things:
>
> - Rules should be the same for all projects (including incubated/integrated)

Yup. This is why the TC revisits integrated projects once per cycle now, too.

> - Nothing should be incubated/integrated.

This is a blatant straw-man. If you're suggesting we stop all
integration testing, release management, etc -- the very things which
the integrated release process coordinates... well, I don't think
that's what you're saying. Except it is.

> Cause projects have to evolve, to evolve they need competition. In other words, monopoly sux in any moment of time (even after community decided to chose project A and not project B)

In order for a project to evolve, a project needs people contributing
to it. More often than not, that is because someone is using the
project, and it doesn't do what they want, so they improve it in some
way. Incubation was intended to be a signal to early adopters to begin
using (and thus, hopefully, contributing to) a project, encouraging
collaboration and reducing NIH friction between corporations within
the ecosystem. It hasn't gone exactly as planned, but it's also worked
fairly well for _this_ purpose, in my opinion.

However, adding more and more projects into the integrated release,
and thus increasing the testing complexity and imposing greater
requirements on operators -- this is an imminent scaling problem, as
Sean has eloquently pointed out before in several long email threads
which I won't recount here.

All of this is to say that Kurt's statement:
  "[You don't get] broad exposure and usage... as a non-integrated
project in the OpenStack ecosystem."
is an accurate representation of one problem facing OpenStack today. I
don't think we solve that problem by following the established norm -
we solve it by creating a mechanism for non-integrated projects to get
the exposure and usage they need _without_ becoming a burden on our
QA, docs, and release teams, and without forcing that project upon
operators.

But as I said earlier, we shouldn't hold Zaqar hostage while we sort
out what that solution looks like...

Anyhow, my apologies for the bike shed. I felt it was worth voicing my
disagreement with Kurt's statement that graduation should not be
viewed as an official blessing of Zaqar as OpenStack's Messaging
Service. Today, I believe that's exactly what it is. With that
blessing comes an additional burden on the community to support it.

Perhaps that will change in the future.

-Devananda