[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Doc team working with bugs

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:04:44 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 03:46 AM, Dmitry Mescheryakov wrote:
> Hello Fuelers,
>
> On the previous meeting a topic was raised on how Fuel doc team should
> work with bugs, see [1] for details. We agreed to move the discussion
> into the mailing list.
>
> The thing is there are two members in the team at the moment (Meg and
> Irina) and they need to distribute work among themselves. The natural
> way to distribute load is to assign bugs. But frequently they document
> bugs which are in the process of being fixed, so they are already
> assigned to an engineer. I.e. a bug needs to be assigned to an
> engineer and a tech writer at the same time.
>
> I've proposed to create a separate series 'docs' in launchpad (it is
> the thing like '5.0.x', '5.1.x'). If bug affects several series, a
> different engineer could be assigned on each of them. So doc team will
> be free to assign bugs to themselves within this new series.
>
> Mike Scherbakov and Dmitry Borodaenko objected creating another series
> in launchpad. Instead they proposed to mark bugs with tags like
> 'docs-irina' and 'docs-meg' thus assigning them.
>
> What do you think is the best way to handle this? As for me, I don't
> have strong preference there.
>
> One last note: the question applies to two launchpad projects
> actually: Fuel and MOS. But naturally we want to do this the same way
> in both projects.

Hi Dmitry!

Good question and problem! :) This limitation of Launchpad has bugged me
for some time (pun intended). It would be great to have the ability to
assign a bug to more than one person.

I actually think using tags is more appropriate here. Series are
intended for releasable things. And since we'd never be "releasing" just
a docs package, having a docs series doesn't really work. So, though
it's a bit kludgy, I think using tags is the best solution here.

All the best,
-jay