[openstack-dev] [Nova][FFE] Feature freeze exception for virt-driver-numa-placement

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 20:23:45 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 11:20 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 5 September 2014 13:59, Nikola Đipanov <ndipanov at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Since this did not get an 'Approved' as of yet, I want to make sure that
>> this is not because the number of sponsors. 2 core members have already
>> sponsored it, and as per [1] cores can sponsor their own FFEs so that's 3.
>
> While I am no fan of that idea, this was already in the gate, so 2
> cores should be more than enough.

I am currently reviewing the final patch series in this and am willing
to be the third sponsor. I've reviewed most of the NUMA-related patches
from Dan and Nikola in the past few months so I'm pretty familiar with
the work, as well as the difficulties Nikola has run into in the
scheduler code regarding adding this functionality.

-jay

> Mikal has said I could approve FFEs in his absence, but given the
> conflict in the thread, I want to leave this approval to him :)
>
> I know its 10 patches, but I think we can try resolve the discussion
> on the thread, and look to approve this on Monday morning, and still
> make it before the deadline. Do shout up if that seems impossible
> and/or stupid.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>> [1]
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/044669.html
>>
>> On 09/04/2014 01:58 PM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> I am requesting the exception for the feature from the subject (find
>>> specs at [1] and outstanding changes at [2]).
>>>
>>> Some reasons why we may want to grant it:
>>>
>>> First of all all patches have been approved in time and just lost the
>>> gate race.
>>>
>>> Rejecting it makes little sense really, as it has been commented on by a
>>> good chunk of the core team, most of the invasive stuff (db migrations
>>> for example) has already merged, and the few parts that may seem
>>> contentious have either been discussed and agreed upon [3], or can
>>> easily be addressed in subsequent bug fixes.
>>>
>>> It would be very beneficial to merge it so that we actually get real
>>> testing on the feature ASAP (scheduling features are not tested in the
>>> gate so we need to rely on downstream/3rd party/user testing for those).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nikola
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova-specs/tree/specs/juno/virt-driver-numa-placement.rst