[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:11:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Tim Bell wrote:
> > The one concern I have with a small core is that there is not an easy
> way to assess the maturity of a project on stackforge. The stackforge
> projects may be missing packaging, Red Hat testing, puppet modules,
> install/admin documentation etc. Thus, I need to have some indication that
> a project is deployable before looking at it with my user community to see
> if it meets a need that is sustainable.
> >
> > Do you see the "optional layer" services being blessed / validated in
> some way and therefore being easy to identify ?
>
> Yes, I think whatever exact shape this takes, it should convey some
> assertion of stability to be able to distinguish itself from random
> projects. Some way of saying "this is good and mature, even if it's not
> in the inner circle".
>
> Being in The "integrated release" has been seen as a sign of stability
> forever, while it was only ensuring "integration" with other projects
> and OpenStack processes. We are getting better at requiring "maturity"
> there, but if we set up layers, we'll have to get even better at that.

The layers are (or originally were) a purely technical organization,
intentionally avoiding association with defcore and other groupings, and on
reflection, maturity too.  The problem that repeatedly bubbles up is that
"people" (mostly outside the community) want a simple tag for maturity or
blessedness and have been using the integrated/incubated status for that.
 Maturity has nothing to do with technical relationships between projects
(required/optional layers).

The "good and mature" blessing should be an independent attribute that is
set on projects as a result of nomination by TC members or PTLs or existing
core members or whatever trusted group we choose.  I'd say for starters
that anything from Stackforge that we use in integrated/incubated projects
is on the short list for that status, as it already has that implicitly by
our use.

dt

--

Dean Troyer