[openstack-dev] how to provide tests environments for python things that require C extensions

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 16:05:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, Monty Taylor wrote:

> The tl;dr is "it's like tox, except it uses docker instead of virtualenv" -
> which means we can express all of our requirements, not just pip ones.

Oh thank god[1].

Seriously.

jogo started a thread about "what matters for kilo" and I was going
to respond with (amongst other things) "get containers into the testing
scene". Seems you're way ahead of me. Docker's caching could be a
_huge_ win here.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5rbtudzrg

> across the project. Luckily, docker itself does an EXCELLENT job at handling
> caching and reuse - so I think we can have a set of containers that something
> in infra (waves hands) publishes to dockerhub, like:
>
>  infra/py27
>  infra/py26

I'm assuming these would get rebuilt regularly (every time global
requirements and friends are updated) on some sort of automated
hook?

> Thoughts? Anybody wanna hack on it with me? I think it could wind up being a
> pretty useful tool for folks outside of OpenStack too if we get it right.

Given availability (currently an unknown) I'd like to help with this.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent