[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:26:02 UTC 2014

On 09/04/2014 10:33 AM, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
> Basically +1 with what Daniel is saying (note that, as mentioned, a
> side effect of our effort to split out the scheduler will help but
> not solve this problem).

The difference between Dan's proposal and the Gantt split is that Dan's
proposal features quite prominently the following:

== begin ==

  - The nova/virt/driver.py class would need to be much better
    specified. All parameters / return values which are opaque dicts
    must be replaced with objects + attributes. Completion of the
    objectification work is mandatory, so there is cleaner separation
    between virt driver impls & the rest of Nova.

== end ==

In other words, Dan's proposal above is EXACTLY what I've been saying
needs to be done to the interfaces between nova-conductor, nova-compute,
and nova-scheduler *before* any split of the scheduler code is even
remotely feasible.

Splitting the scheduler out before this is done would actually not "help
but not solve this problem" -- it would instead further the problem, IMO.

Best,
-jay