[openstack-dev] [rally][iperf] Benchmarking network performance

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Sep 4 15:58:56 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 11:47 AM, Ajay Kalambur (akalambu) wrote:
> Hi
> Looking into the following blueprint which requires that network
> performance tests be done as part of a scenario
> I plan to implement this using iperf and basically a scenario which
> includes a client/server VM pair

My experience with netperf over the years has taught me that when there
is just the single stream and pair of "systems" one won't actually know
if the performance was limited by inbound, or outbound.  That is why the
likes of

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/netperf_by_flavor.py

and

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/netperf_by_quantum.py

apart from being poorly written python :)  Will launch several instances
of a given flavor and then run aggregate tests on the Instance Under
Test.  Those aggregate tests will include inbound, outbound,
bidirectional, aggregate small packet and then a latency test.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones