[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 15:57:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 03:49:26PM +0000, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
> Actually, I think Sylvain's point is even stronger as I don't think
> splitting the virt drivers out of Nova is a complete fix.  It may
> solve the review latency for the virt driver area but, unless virt
> drivers are the bulk of Nova patches, the Nova core team will still
> be swamped with review requests.  Some solution, maybe half-cores,
> will still be needed for Nova long term.

Absolutely, nova core will still have an awful lot of work todo
and will need to have fresh blood. The split will free up some %
of existing cores time though as there's certainly plenty of virt
driver only patches going through merge that are taking up non
negligble review time. eg I've done loads of review on vmware
only code which I'd be relieved of with vmware maintainers able
to form their own review core for their driver. There is also the
fact that people are holding back on even submitting code for
many drivers because they know it'll never get reviewed. So the
proportion of virt driver only code is likely to be higher than
what we currently see on review today.

Regards,
Daniel