[openstack-dev] [oslo] [infra] Alpha wheels for Python 3.x

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:38:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2014, at 5:27 AM, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> It has been pointed out to me that one case where it won't be so easy is
>> oslo.messaging and its use of eventlet under python2. Messaging will
>> almost certainly need python 2 and python 3 wheels to be separate. I
>> think we should continue to use universal wheels where possible and only
>> build python2 and python3 wheels in the special cases where necessary.
>>

> We can make eventlet an optional dependency of oslo.messaging (through
> setuptools' extras). In fact I don't quite understand the need for eventlet
> as direct dependency there since we can just write code that uses threading
> library and it'll get monkeypatched if consumer app wants to use eventlet.
>

> There is code in the messaging library that makes calls directly into
> eventlet now, IIRC. It sounds like that could be changed, but that’s
> something to consider for a future version.

Yes, I hope to see unified threading/eventlet executor there
(futures-based, I guess) some day.

The last time I looked at setuptools extras they were a documented but
> unimplemented specification. Has that changed?

According to docs [1] it works in pip (and has been working in setuptools
for ages), and according to bug [2], it has been working for couple years.

[1] http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html#examples
(#6)
[2] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/7

--