[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][feature freeze exception] Can I get an exception for AMQP 1.0?

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:48:34 UTC 2014

On Wed Sep 3 19:23:52 UTC 2014, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>On Sep 3, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Ken Giusti <kgiusti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm proposing a freeze exception for the oslo.messaging AMQP 1.0
>> driver:
>>
>>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/75815/
<SNIP>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken
>
>Ken,
>
>I think we’re generally in favor of including the new driver, but
>before I say so officially can you fill us in on the state of the
>additional external libraries it needs? I see pyngus on pypi, and you
>mention in the “Request to include AMQP 1.0 support in Juno-3” thread
>that proton is being packaged in EPEL and work is ongoing for
>Debian. Is that done (it has only been a few days, I know)?

Hi Doug,

Yes, AMQP 1.0 tech is pretty new, so the availability of the packages
is the sticking point.

That said, there are two different dependencies to consider:
oslo.messaging dependencies, and AMQP 1.0 support in the brokers.

For oslo.messaging, the dependency is on the Proton C developer
libraries.  This library is currently available on EPEL for centos6+
and fedora. It is not available in the Ubuntu repos yet - though they
have recently been accepted to Debian sid.  For developers, the QPID
project maintains a PPA that can be used to get the packages on
Debian/Ubuntu (though this is not acceptable for openstack CI
support).  The python bindings
that interface with this library are available on pypi (see the
amqp1-requirements.txt in the driver patch).

Qpid upstream has been shipping with 1.0 support for awhile now, but
unfortunately the popular distros don't have the latest Qpid brokers
available.  Qpid with AMQP 1.0 support is available via EPEL for
centos7 and fedora. RedHat deprecated Qpid on rhel6, so now centos6 is
stuck with an old version of qpid since we can't override base
packages in EPEL.  Same deal with Debian/Ubuntu, though the QPID PPA
should have the latest packages (I'll have to follow up on that).

>I would like to avoid having that packaging work be a blocker, so if
>we do include the driver, what do you think is the best way to convey
>the instructions for installing those packages? I know you’ve done
>some work recently on documenting the experimental status, did that
>include installation tips?

Not at present, but that's what I'm working on at the moment.  I'll
definitely call out the installation dependencies and configuration
settings necessary for folks to get the driver up and running with a
minimum of pain.

I assume I'll have to update at least:

The wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Messaging
The user manuals:
http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/config-reference/content/configuring-rpc.html

I can also add a README to the protocols/amqp directory, if that makes sense.