[openstack-dev] [Glance][Nova][All] requests 2.4.0 breaks glanceclient

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Wed Sep 3 19:12:26 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Kuvaja, Erno's message of 2014-09-03 12:30:08 +0000:
> Hi All,
>
> While investigating glanceclient gating issues we narrowed it down to requests 2.4.0 which was released 2014-08-29. Urllib3 seems to be raising new ProtocolError which does not get catched and breaks at least glanceclient.
> Following error can be seen on console "ProtocolError: ('Connection aborted.', gaierror(-2, 'Name or service not known'))".
>
> Unfortunately we hit on such issue just under the freeze. Apparently this breaks novaclient as well and there is change (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/118332/ )proposed to requirements to limit the version <2.4.0.
>
> Is there any other projects using requirements and seeing issues with the latest version?

Weve run into this in tripleo, specifically with os-collect-config.
Heres the upstream bug:
https://github.com/kennethreitz/requests/issues/2192

We had to pin it in our project to unwedge CI (otherwise we would be
blocked on cutting an os-collect-config release).