[openstack-dev] [rally][iperf] Benchmarking network performance

Ajay Kalambur (akalambu) akalambu at cisco.com
Wed Sep 3 18:47:35 UTC 2014

Hi
Looking into the following blueprint which requires that network performance tests be done as part of a scenario
I plan to implement this using iperf and basically a scenario which includes a client/server VM pair

The client than sends out TCP traffic using iperf to server and the VM throughput is recorded
I have a WIP patch attached to this email

The patch has a dependency on following 2 review
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/103306/
 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96300<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96300>

On top of this it creates a new VM performance scenario and uses floating ips to access the VM and download iperf to the VM and than run throughout tests
The code will  be made more modular but this patch will give you a good idea of whats in store.
We also need to handle the case next where no floating ip is available and we assume direct access. We need to have ssh to install the tool and drive the tests

Please look at the attached diff and let me know if overall the flow looks fine
If it does I can make the code more modular and proceed. Note this is Work in progress still

Ajay