[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][feature freeze exception] Can I get an exception for AMQP 1.0?

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:03:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm proposing a freeze exception for the oslo.messaging AMQP 1.0
driver:

   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/75815/

Blueprint:

   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+spec/amqp10-driver-implementation

I presented this work at the Juno summit [1]. The associated spec has
been approved and merged [2].

The proposed patch has been in review since before icehouse, with a
couple of non-binding +1's.  A little more time is necessary to get
core reviews.

The patch includes a number of functional tests, and I've proposed a
CI check that will run those tests [3].  This patch is currently
pending support for bare fedora 20 nodes in CI.  I'm planning to add
additional test cases and devstack support in the future.

I'm in the process of adding documentation to the RPC section of the
Openstack manual.

Justification:

I think there's a benefit to have this driver available as an
_experimental_ feature in Juno, and the risk of inclusion is minimal
as the driver is optional, disabled by default, and will not have
impact on any system that does not explicitly enable it.

Unlike previous versions of the protocol, AMQP 1.0 is the official
standard for AMQP messaging (ISO/IEC 19464).  Support for it is
arriving from multiple different messaging system vendors [4].

Having access to AMQP 1.0 functionality in openstack sooner rather
than later gives the developers of AMQP 1.0 messaging systems the
opportunity to validate their AMQP 1.0 support in the openstack
environment.  Likewise, easier access to this driver by the openstack
developer community will help us find and fix any issues in a timely
manner as adoption of the standard grows.

Please consider this feature to be a part of Juno-3 release.

Thanks,

Ken

--
Ken Giusti  (kgiusti at gmail.com)