[openstack-dev] znc as a service (was Re: [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?)

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Sep 3 17:04:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014, at 07:26 AM, Ryan Brown wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 09:35 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> > Re: ZNC as a service, I think it's OK provided the implementation is
> > open-sourced with openstack-infra repo group, as for Gerrit, Zuul and
> > others.
> > The only problem I can see is how to provide IRC credentials to this, as
> > I don't want to share my creds up to the service.
> >
> > -Sylvain
> There are more than just adoption (user trust) problems. An Open Source
> implementation wouldn't solve the liability concerns, because users
> would still have logs of their (potentially sensitive) credentials and
> conversations on servers run by OpenStack Infra.
>
> This is different from Gerrit/Zuul etc which just display code/changes
> and run/display tests on those public items. There isn't anything
> sensitive to be leaked there. Storing credentials and private messages
> is a different story, and would require much more security work than
> just storing code and test results.
>
> --
> Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.

This doesn't solve the privacy issues, but subway [0] was built
specifically to tackle the problem of making persistent IRC easy without
needing to understand screen/tmux or znc/bip.

Maybe we can sidestep the privacy concerns by providing scipts/puppet
manifests/disk image builder elements/something that individuals or
groups of people that have some form of trust between each other can use
to easily spin up something like subway for persistent access.
Unfortunately, this assumes that individuals or groups of people will
have a way to run a persistent service on a server of some sort which
may not always be the case.

[0] https://github.com/thedjpetersen/subway

Clark