[openstack-dev] [Keystone][Marconi][Heat] Creating accounts in Keystone

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 02:12:59 UTC 2014

On 08/25/2014 10:49 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 24/08/14 23:17, Adam Young wrote:
>> On 08/23/2014 02:01 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> I don't know how Zaqar does its magic, but I'd love to see simple
>>> signed
>>> URLs rather than users/passwords. This would work for Heat as well.
>>> That
>>> way we only have to pass in a single predictably formatted string.
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-08-22 14:35:38 -0700:
>>

>> Nah, this is the direction we are headed.  Service users (out of LDAP!)
>> are going to be the norm with a recent feature add to Keytone:
>>

>> http://adam.younglogic.com/2014/08/getting-service-users-out-of-ldap/
>
> Ah, excellent, thanks Adam. (BTW markup fail: "The naming of this file
> is essential: keystone..conf [sic] is the expected form.")
If that is the worst typo in that article I consider that success.

> So this will solve the Authentication half of the problem. What is the
> recommended solution for Authorisation?
>
> In particular, even if a service like Zaqar or Heat implements their
> own authorisation (e.g. the user creating a Zaqar queue supplies lists
> of the accounts that are allowed to read or write to it,
> respectively), how does the user ensure that the service accounts they
> create will not have access to other OpenStack APIs? IIRC the default
> policy.json files supplied by the various projects allow non-admin
> operations from any account with a role in the project.

There are things I want to implement to solve this.  Locking a token
(and a trust) to a service and/or Endpoint is the primary thing. More
finely grained roles.  Delegating operations instead of roles.
Additional constraints on tokens.

Basically, I want the moon on a stick.

Keep asking.  I can't justify the effort to build this stuff until
people show they need it.  Heat has been the primary driver for so much
of Keystone already.