[openstack-dev] [nova] feature branch for Nova v2.1 API?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Sep 2 12:54:31 UTC 2014

I think we finally got to a largely consensus agreement at the mid-cycle
on the path forward for Nova v2.1 and microversioning. Summary for
others: Nova v2.1 will be Nova v2 built on the v3 infrastructure (which
is much cleaner), with json schema based request validation (to further
clean up and make consistent all the input validation).

As we hit FF I'm wondering if we consider getting the API conversion a
high enough priority to run it in parallel during the RC phase of Nova.
It feels like a ton of other things become easier once we have all this
working (like actually being able to sanely evolve our API with all the
new features people show up with), so having that early Kilo would be great.

One thing we could do is take the v2.1 work into a feature branch during
the freeze/rc, which would allow getting Tempest functioning on it, and
get the patch stream ready for early merge in Kilo.

This has the disadvantage of some portion of the Nova team being focused
on this during the RC phase, which is generally considered uncool. (I
agree with that sentiment).

So it's a trade off. And honestly, I could go either way.

I'd like to get the feelings of the Nova drivers team on whether getting
the API on track is deemed important enough to go this approach during
the Juno RC phase. All opinions welcome.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net