[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Nova]Quest about Cinder Brick proposal

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:54:56 UTC 2014

On 2 September 2014 04:56, Emma Lin <line at vmware.com> wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
> I saw the wiki page for Cinder Brick proposal for Havana, but I didn’t see
> any follow up on that idea. Is there any real progress on that idea?
>
> As this proposal is to address the local storage issue, I’d like to know the
> status, and to see if there is any task required for hypervisor provider.

Hi Emma

Brick didn't really evolve to cover the local storage case, so we've
not made much progress in that direction.

Local storage comes up fairly regularly, but solving all of the points
(availability, API behaviour completeness, performance, scheduling)
from a pure cinder PoV is a hard problem - i.e. making local storage
look like a normal cinder volume. Specs welcome, email me if you want
more details on the problems - there are certainly many people
interested in seeing the problem solved.

There is code in brick that could be used in nova as is to reduce
duplication and give a single place to fix bugs - nobody has yet taken
this work on as far as I know.