[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas][octavia]

Avishay Balderman AvishayB at Radware.com
Tue Sep 2 07:09:18 UTC 2014

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Logan [mailto:brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 8:13 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas][octavia]

Hi Susanne and everyone,

My opinions are that keeping it in stackforge until it gets mature is the best solution.  I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that.  Whenever it is mature then, and only then, we should try to get it into openstack one way or another.  If Neutron LBaaS v2 is still incubated then it should be relatively easy to get it in that codebase.  If Neutron LBaaS has already spun out, even easier for us.  If we want Octavia to just become an openstack project all its own then that will be the difficult part.

I think the best course of action is to get Octavia itself into the same codebase as LBaaS (Neutron or spun out).  They do go together, and the maintainers will almost always be the same for both.  This makes even more sense when LBaaS is spun out into its own project.

I really think all of the answers to these questions will fall into place when we actually deliver a product that we are all wanting and talking about delivering with Octavia.  Once we prove that we can all come together as a community and manage a product from inception to maturity, we will then have the respect and trust to do what is best for an Openstack LBaaS product.

Thanks,
Brandon