[openstack-dev] [Infra][all] Synchronizing local Git and Gerrit repositories

Ondrej Wisniewski ondrej.wisniewski at dektech.com.au
Wed Oct 29 14:02:43 UTC 2014

Hi Dolph,

I guess it sounds complicated but in the end our setup is really not
much different from the community workflow, a least this is the
intention. What I am trying to achieve is a possibility for the team of
developers to share code among each other by using a central Git
repository. This is according to the centralized workflow using
distributed Git as described in the official Git documentation (see ref.
[1]).

If I understand correctly, we cannot use the OpenStack community Git
servers as our central Git repository since developers cannot push to
them. And we don't want to go through Gerrit and the code review
procedure just to share a bit of code with somebody else in the team.
Thus the need for a local mirror.

Additionally also a local Gerrit server was set up to allow for internal
code review within the team before submitting anything to the community
server review.openstack.org <http://review.openstack.org> (which will be
done eventually). This is also helpful in case our Internet connection
goes down, as we will still be able to follow the complete workflow
inside the LAN.

Hope this explains a little better the motivation for the described setup.

Ondrej

[1] http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Distributed-Git-Distributed-Workflows

/