[openstack-dev] [Neutron]issue about dvr flows and port timestamp

Hly henry4hly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:36:43 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPad

On 2014-10-29, at 下午6:33, Maru Newby <marun at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 8:12 AM, Yangxurong <yangxurong at huawei.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m not sure whether following issue is problematic, and both, our team do some effort, so I submit two blueprints:
>> [1.] optimize dvr flows:
>> Currently, accurate ovs flows in terms of full mac are used to communicate among distributed router, but here comes problem : (1)the more distributed router node, the more flows; (2)different distributed router across DC cannot communicate through tunnel and additional operation under same mac prefix configuration. So it would be useful to shift the complete-matching of mac to fuzzy Matching, like prefix matching, reducing the number of flows and leading to communicate among different DC though configuring same mac prefix through tunnel.
>> Link: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/optimize-dvr-flows
>
> I think we need to focus on paying down technical debt (both in the code and on the testing side) related to dvr before we seriously consider the kind of optimization that you are proposing.  I’m also unclear as to why we would want to pursue a solution to a problem whose severity doesn’t appear to be clear ("I’m not sure whether the following issue is problematic…").

DVR stability is the first class for sure, but if the code and logic could be less and simpler, there is more chance of stability. By my understanding, since DVR mac range has been configured as a prefix, so prefix based judgement instead of one by one flow setup triggered by mesh-like message notifying would simplify the code logic, thus indirectly contribute to overall stability. Also, it would remove hundreds of flows in the ovs in a middle scale cluster, very helpful for trouble shooting.

Wu