[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova] New specs on routed networking

Fred Baker (fred) fred at cisco.com
Wed Oct 29 06:46:37 UTC 2014

Some of us are looking at a different model. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

The premise in this is that a great deal of the complexity in OpenStack is basically working around the deficiencies of IPv4, especially its address space and issues in multicast deployment. IPv6 actually addresses a lot of that. So I would posit that we can use a label to isolate tenants, use IPv6 Multicast for the cases in which IPv4 and Ethernet use broadcast, and wind up with some much simpler and more scalable.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-openstack-ipv6-model
  "A Model for IPv6 Operation in OpenStack", Fred Baker, Chris Marino, Ian
  Wells, 2014-10-17

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-openstack-rbac-federated-identity
  "Federated Identity for IPv6 Role-base Access Control", Fred Baker,
  2014-10-17