[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova] New specs on routed networking

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Tue Oct 28 21:36:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the simplest use case is just that a provider doesn't want to deal
> with extending L2 domains all over their datacenter.

This is similar to a goal behind [1] and [2].  I'm trying to figure
out where the commonalities and differences are with our respective
approaches.  One obvious difference is that the approach that I
referenced deals only with external networks where typically only
routers connect their gateway interfaces whereas your approach is an
ML2 driver.  As an ML2 driver, it could handle tenant networks too.
I'm curious to know how it works.  I will read through the blueprint
proposals.  The first question that pops in my mind is how (or if) it
supports isolated overlapping L3 address spaces between tenant
networks.  I imagine that it will support a restricted networking
model.

I look forward to meeting and discussing this at Summit.  Look for me.

Carl

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/pluggable-ext-net
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/bgp-dynamic-routing