[openstack-dev] [tuskar][tripleo] Tuskar/TripleO on Devstack

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Oct 28 19:47:22 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 01:34 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-10-28 11:13:22 -0700:

>>> Yup, I went round a few iterations of those, e.g running devtest_overcloud
>>> with -c so I could more quickly re-deploy, until I realized I could drive
>>> heat directly, so I started doing that :)
>>>
>>> Most of my investigations atm are around investigating Heat issues, or
>>> testing new tripleo-heat-templates stuff, so I do need to spin up the
>>> overcloud (and update it, which is where the fun really began ref bug
>>> #1383709 and #1384750 ...)

>>> I've not yet raised one, as I wasn't sure if it was either by design, or if
>>> I was missing some crucial element from my DiB config.
>>>
>>> If you consider it a bug, I'll raise one and look into a fix.

>>> Not yet dug into it in a lot of detail tbh, my other VMs can access the
>>> internet fine so it may be something simple, I'll look into it.
>>
>> Are you sure this is a networking thing?  When I try a git pull I get this:
>>
>> [root at localhost heat]# git pull
>> fatal:
>> '/home/bnemec/.cache/image-create/source-repositories/heat_dc24d8f2ad92ef55b8479c7ef858dfeba8bf0c84'
>> does not appear to be a git repository
>> fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>>
>> That's actually because the git repo on the seed would have come from
>> the local cache during the image build.  We should probably reset the
>> remote to a sane value once we're done with the cache one.
>>
>> Networking-wise, my Fedora seed can pull from git.o.o just fine though.
>>

> I think we should actually just rip the git repos out of the images in
> production installs. What good does it do sending many MB of copies of
> the git repos around? Perhaps just record HEAD somewhere in a manifest
> and rm -r the source repos during cleanup.d.

I actually thought we were removing git repos, but evidently not.

> But, for supporting dev/test, we could definitely leave them there and
> change the remotes back to their canonical (as far as diskimage-builder
> knows) sources.

I wonder if it would make sense to pip install -e.  Then the copy of the
application in the venvs is simply a pointer to the actual git repo.
This would also make it easier to make changes to the running code -
instead of having to make a change, reinstall, and restart services you
could just make the change and restart like in Devstack.

I guess I don't know if that has any negative impacts for production use
though.