[openstack-dev] [devstack] Enable LVM ephemeral storage for Nova

Dan Genin daniel.genin at jhuapl.edu
Tue Oct 28 17:53:29 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 11:56 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Dan Genin <daniel.genin at jhuapl.edu
> <mailto:daniel.genin at jhuapl.edu>> wrote:
>
>     So this brings us back to the original proposal of having separate
>     backing files for Cinder and Nova which Dean thought might take
>     too much space.
>

> Between Cinder, Nova and Swift (and Ceph, etc) everybody wants some
> loopback disk images.  DevStack's Swift and Ceph configurations assume
> loopback devices and do no sharing.
>
>     Duncan, could you please elaborate on the pain a single volume
>     group is likely to cause for Cinder? Is it a show stopper?
>

> Back in the day, DevStack was built to configure Cinder (and Nova
> Volume before that) to use a specific existing volume group
> (VOLUME_GROUP_NAME) or create a loopback file if necessary.  With the
> help of VOLUME_NAME_PREFIX and volume_name_template DevStack knew
> which logical volumes belong to Cinder and could Do The Right Thing.
>
> With three loopback files being created, all wanting larger and larger
> defaults, adding a fourth becomes Just One More Thing.  If Nova's use
> of LVM is similar enough to Cinder's (uses deterministic naming for
> the LVs) I'm betting we could make it work.
>
> dt
Nova's disk names are of the form <instance-uuid>_<disk_type>. So
deterministic but, unfortunately, not necessarily predictable. It sounds
like Duncan is saying that Cinder needs a fixed prefix for testing its
functionality. I will be honest, I am not optimistic about convincing
Nova to change their disk naming scheme for the sake of LVM testing. Far
more important changes have lingered for months and sometimes longer.

It sounds like you are concerned about two issues with regard to the
separate volume groups approach: 1) potential loop device shortage and
2) growing space demand. The second issue, it seems to me, will arise no
matter which of the two solutions we choose. More space will be required
for testing Nova's LVM functionality one way or another, although, using
a shared volume group would permit a more efficient use of the available
space. The first issue is, indeed, a direct consequence of the choice to
use distinct volume groups. However, the number of available loop
devices can be increased by passing the appropriate boot parameter to
the kernel, which can be easy or hard depending on how the test VMs are
spun up.

I am not saying that we should necessarily go the way of separate volume
groups but, assuming for the moment that changing Nova's disk naming
scheme is not an option, we need to figure out what will bring the least
amount of pain forcing Cinder tests to work around Nova volumes or
create separate volume groups.

Let me know what you think.
Dan