[openstack-dev] [tuskar][tripleo] Tuskar/TripleO on Devstack

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Oct 28 10:08:05 UTC 2014

On 28 October 2014 22:51, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 03:22:36PM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
>> So this should work and I think its generally good.
>>
>> But - I'm curious, you only need a single image for devtest to
>> experiment with tuskar - the seed - which should be about the same
>> speed (or faster, if you have hot caches) than devstack, and you'll
>> get Ironic and nodes registered so that the panels have stuff to show.
>
> TBH it's not so much about speed (although, for me, devstack is faster as
> I've not yet mirrored all-the-things locally, I only have a squid cache),
> it's about establishing a productive test/debug/hack/re-test workflow.

mm, squid-cache should still give pretty good results. If its not, bug
time :). That said..

> I've been configuring devstack to create Ironic nodes FWIW, so that works
> OK too.

Cool.

> It's entirely possible I'm missing some key information on how to compose
> my images to be debug friendly, but here's my devtest frustration:
>
> 1. Run devtest to create seed + overcloud

If you're in dev-of-a-component cycle, I wouldn't do that. I'd run
devtest_seed.sh only. The seed has everything on it, so the rest is
waste (unless you need all the overcloud bits - in which case I'd
still tune things - e.g. I'd degrade to single node, and I'd iterate
on devtest_overcloud.sh, *not* on the full plumbing each time).

> 2. Hit an issue, say a Heat bug (not that *those* ever happen! ;D)
> 3. Log onto seed VM to debug the issue.  Discover there are no logs.

We should fix that - is there a bug open? Thats a fairly serious issue
for debugging a deployment.

> 4. Restart the heat-engine logging somewhere
> 5. Realize heat-engine isn't quite latest master
> 6. Git pull heat, discover networking won't allow it

Ugh. Thats horrid. Is it a fedora thing? My seed here can git pull
totally fine - I've depended heavily on that to debug various things
over time.

> 7. scp latest master from my laptop->VM
> 8. setup.py install, discover the dependencies aren't all there

This one might be docs: heat is installed in a venv -
/opt/stack/venvs/heat, so the deps be should in that, not in the
global site-packages.

> 9. Give up and try to recreate issue on devstack

:)

> I'm aware there are probably solutions to all of these problems, but my
> point is basically that devstack on my laptop already solves all of them,
> so... maybe I can just use that?  That's my thinking, anyway.

Sure - its fine to use devstack. In fact, we don't *want* devtest to
supplant devstack, they're solving different problems.

> E.g here's my tried, tested and comfortable workflow:
>
> 1. Run stack.sh on my laptop
> 2. Do a heat stack-create
> 3. Hit a problem, look at screen logs
> 4. Fix problem, restart heat, re-test, git-review, done!
>
> I realize I'm swimming against the tide a bit here, so feel free to educate
> me if there's an easier way to reduce the developer friction that exists
> with devtest :)

Quite possibly there isn't. Some of your issues are ones we should not
at all have, and I'd like to see those removed. But they are different
tools for different scenarios, so I'd expect some impedance mismatch
doing single-code-base-dev in a prod-deploy-context, and I only asked
about the specifics to get a better understanding of whats up - I
think its totally appropriate to be doing your main dev with devstack.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist