[openstack-dev] FreeBSD host support

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 13:50:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:39:40AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 21, 2014, Roman Bogorodskiy <rbogorodskiy at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > > On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <
> > rbogorodskiy at mirantis.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >

> [snip]

> [snip]
>

> > > What about neutron? We are in the process of trying to deprecate
> > nova-network, so any new thing needs to support neutron.
> >

> > AFAIK, there's no defined migration plan yet, unless I missed that.
> > Anyway, I don't see any blockers regarding an implementation of a driver
> > similar to linuxbridge that'd work on FreeBSD.
> >
> > Also, Semihalf guys are working on OpenContail/FreeBSD and
> > Neutron/OpenContrial support, so that's an option as well.
>

> I have no problem with supporting FreeBSD as a hypervisor operating system,
> especially if there is a solid team on the FreeBSD side that will commit to
> maintaining the changes required and adding the necessary CI (especially
> ensuring that when it breaks it gets fixed).
>
> However, I see Neutron support as a firm requirement. We've spent a large
> amount of time getting closer and closer to deprecating nova-network.
> Despite opening it up for limited development again, I don't think we
> should be making the transition plan harder by introducing new features
> that don't work with Neutron.

As far as the Nova side is concerned, any code we add for FreeBSD in the
libvirt driver should "just work" with Neutron and its linuxbridge plugin,
since there's nothing new/special about FreeBSD network config in the
libvirt XML.

Any work is on the Neutron project side to remove any Linux-isms in the
Neutron linuxbridge plugin (and any others that the FreeBSD team wish
to support) code. So that would obviously require a spec to be submitted
to Neutron for any porting effort wrt FreeBSD.

As long as the Neutron team are willing to accept portability work to
FreeBSD, I don't think we need to block the Nova work on that. We can
let then proceeed in parallel, and we simply don't mark Nova FreeBSD
as an officially supported driver until both pieces of work are complete

Regards,
Daniel