[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Killing connection after security group rule deletion

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:32:36 UTC 2014

I think the root cause of the problem here is that we are losing
segregation between tenants at the conntrack level. The compute side plugs
everything into the same namespace and we have no guarantees about
uniqueness of any other fields kept by conntrack.

Because of this loss of uniqueness, I think there may be another lurking
bug here as well. One tenant establishing connections between IPs that
overlap with another tenant will create the possibility that a connection
the other tenant attempts will match the conntrack entry from the original
connection. Then whichever closes the connection first will result in the
conntrack entry being removed and the return traffic from the remaining
connection being dropped.

I think the correct way forward here is to isolate each tenant (or even
compute interface) into its own conntrack zone.[1] This will provide
isolation against that imaginary unlikely scenario I just presented. :-)
More importantly, it will allow us to clear connections for a specific
tenant (or compute interface) without interfering with others because
conntrack can delete by zone.[2]

1.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/5d0aa2ccd4699a01cfdf14886191c249d7b45a01
2. see the -w option.