[openstack-dev] [all] periodic jobs for master

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 22 10:07:35 UTC 2014

Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> [...]
> For stable branches, we have so called periodic jobs that are
> triggered once in a while against the current code in a stable branch,
> and report to openstack-stable-maint@ mailing list. An example of
> failing periodic job report can be found at [2]. I envision that
> similar approach can be applied to test auxiliary features in gate. So
> once something is broken in master, the interested parties behind the
> auxiliary feature will be informed in due time.
> [...]

The main issue with periodic jobs is that since they are non-blocking,
they can get ignored really easily. It takes a bit of organization and
process to get those failures addressed.

It's only recently (and a lot thanks to you) that failures in the
periodic jobs for stable branches are being taken into account quickly
and seriously. For years the failures just lingered until they blocked
someone's work enough for that person to go and fix them.

So while I think periodic jobs are a good way to increase corner case
testing coverage, I am skeptical of our collective ability to have the
discipline necessary for them not to become a pain. We'll need a strict
process around them: identified groups of people signed up to act on
failure, and failure stats so that we can remove jobs that don't get
enough attention.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)