[openstack-dev] [Ironic] disambiguating the term "discovery"

Stuart Fox stuart at demonware.net
Tue Oct 21 17:29:25 UTC 2014

Having written/worked on a few DC automation tools, Ive typically broken
down the process of getting unknown hardware into production in to 4
distinct stages.
1) Discovery (The discovery of unknown hardware)
2) Normalising (Push initial configs like drac/imm/ilo settings, flashing
to known good firmware etc etc)
3) Analysis (Figure out what the hardware is and what its constituent parts
are cpu/ram/disk/IO caps/serial numbers etc)
4) Burnin (run linpack or equiv tests for 24hrs)

At the end of stage 4 the hardware should be ready for provisioning.

Hope that helps

Stuart

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:38 AM, Lucas Alvares Gomes <lucasagomes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Sam Betts (sambetts)
> <sambetts at cisco.com> wrote:
> > I agree with Devananda's definition of Œhardware discovery¹ and other
> > tools similar to Ironic use the term discovery in this way, however I
> have
> > found that these other tools often bundle the gathering of the system
> > properties together with the discovery of the hardware as a single step
> > from a user perspective. I also agree that in Ironic there needs to be a
> > separate term for that (at least from a dev perspective) and I think
> > Lucas¹s suggestion of Œhardware interrogation¹ or something like
> Œhardware
> > inventory¹ would be more explanatory at first glance than
> Œintrospection¹.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but no "inventory" please, this is another
> taboo word in Ironic. This is because when we say hardware inventory
> it kinda suggests that Ironic could be used as a CMDB, which is not
> the case.

BR,
Stuart