[openstack-dev] [Ironic] disambiguating the term "discovery"

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 07:49:26 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 02:11 AM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was reminded in the Ironic meeting today that the words "hardware
> discovery" are overloaded and used in different ways by different
> people. Since this is something we are going to talk about at the
> summit (again), I'd like to start the discussion by building consensus
> in the language that we're going to use.
>
> So, I'm starting this thread to explain how I use those two words, and
> some other words that I use to mean something else which is what some
> people mean when they use those words. I'm not saying my words are the
> right words -- they're just the words that make sense to my brain
> right now. If someone else has better words, and those words also make
> sense (or make more sense) then I'm happy to use those instead.
>
> So, here are rough definitions for the terms I've been using for the
> last six months to disambiguate this:
>
> "hardware discovery"
> The process or act of identifying hitherto unknown hardware, which is
> addressable by the management system, in order to later make it
> available for provisioning and management.
>
> "hardware introspection"
> The process or act of gathering information about the properties or
> capabilities of hardware already known by the management system.
I generally agree with this separation, though it brings some troubles
to me, as I'm used to calling "discovery" what you called
"introspection" (it was not the case this summer, but now I changed my
mind). And the term "discovery" is baked into the.. hmm.. introspection
service that I've written [1].

So I would personally prefer to leave "discovery" as in "discovery of
hardware properties", though I realize that "introspection" may be a
better name.

[1] https://github.com/Divius/ironic-discoverd