[openstack-dev] DB Datasets CI broken

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Oct 18 00:36:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2014-10-18 10:45:23 +1100 (+1100), Michael Still wrote:
> [...]
>> Is it possible to add a verification step to nodepool so that it
>> doesn't mark a new image as ready unless it passes some basic sanity
>> checks?
>
> Back in the beforetime, when devstack-gate had scripts which managed
> the worker pool as scheduled Jenkins jobs, it would run DevStack
> exercises on a test boot of the new image before using it to boot
> real images. Of course you can imagine the number of perfectly good
> images which were thrown away because of nondeterministic bugs
> causing false negative results there, so we probably wouldn't want
> to duplicate that exactly, but perhaps something more lightweight
> would be a reasonable compromise.
>
> Anyway, I consider it a good feature request (others may disagree),
> just nobody's reimplemented it in nodepool to date.

Yeah, I'm starting to think along the lines of adding a simple sanity
check to the shell worker in turbo hipster before the real tests run.
Things like checking if the git directory exists, and contains a git
repo with the branches we need. We could run that pre-flight script
(or a variant) of it on images before marking them as real.

For reference, what we think happened here is that the cache of SQL
databases baked into the image was rsynced from our master while
jhesketh was in the process of updating the SQL databases to a more
recent version of OpenStack.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia