[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Summit scheduling - using our time together wisely.

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Oct 16 20:14:26 UTC 2014

The format has changed slightly this summit, to help encourage a more
collaborative design experience, rather than rapid fire mass-inclusion
summit sessions. So we have two 40-minute long slots, and one whole day
of contributor meetup.[1]

Our etherpad topics page has received quite a few additions now [2], and
so I'd like to hear thoughts on what things we want to talk about in the
meetup versus the sessions.

A few things I think we should stipulate:

* The scheduled sessions will be heavily attended by the community at
  large. This often includes those who are just curious, or those who
  want to make sure that their voice is heard. These sessions should be
  reserved for those topics which have the most external influence or
  are the most dependent on other projects.

* The meetup will be at the end of the week so at the end of it, we
  can't then go to any other meetups and ask for things / participate
  in those design activities. This reinforces that scheduled session
  time should be focused on things that are externally focused so that
  we can take the result of those discussions into any of the sessions
  that are after.

* The Ops Summit is Wendesday/Thursday [3], which overlaps with these
  sessions. I am keenly interested in gathering more contribution from
  those already operating and deploying OpenStack. It can go both ways,
  but I think it might make sense to have more ops-centric topics
  discussed on Friday, when those participants might not be fully
  wrapped up in the ops sessions.

If we can all agree on those points, given the current topics, I think
our scheduled sessions should target at least (but not limited to):

* Cinder + CEPH
* Layer 3 segmentation

I think those might fit into 40 minutes, as long as we hash some things
out here on the mailing list first. Cinder + CEPH is really just a
check-in to make sure we're on track to providing it. Layer 3, I've had
discussions with Ironic and Neutron people and I think we have a plan,
but I wanted to present it in the open and discuss the short term goals
to see if it satisfies what users may want for the Kilo time frame.

So, I would encourage you all to look at the etherpad, and expand on
topics or add more, and then reply to this thread with ideas for how
best to use our precious time together.

[1] http://kilodesignsummit.sched.org/overview/type/tripleo
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-tripleo-summit-topics
[3] http://kilodesignsummit.sched.org/overview/type/ops+summit