[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:48:57 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 04:29 AM, Florian Haas wrote:

>>> How so? (5) would use existing wheels for monitoring and orchestration
>>> instead of writing all new code paths inside Nova to do the same thing.
>>
>> Right, there may be some confusion here ... I thought you were both
>> agreeing that the use of an external toolset was a good approach for the
>> problem, but Florian's last message makes that not so clear ...
>
> While one of us (Jay or me) speaking for the other and saying we agree
> is a distributed consensus problem that dwarfs the complexity of
> Paxos

You've always had a way with words, Florian :)

 >, *I* for my part do think that an "external" toolset (i.e. one
> that lives outside the Nova codebase) is the better approach versus
> duplicating the functionality of said toolset in Nova.
>
> I just believe that the toolset that should be used here is
> Corosync/Pacemaker and not Ceilometer/Heat. And I believe the former
> approach leads to *much* fewer necessary code changes *in* Nova than
> the latter.

I agree with you that Corosync/Pacemaker is the tool of choice for
monitoring/heartbeat functionality, and is my choice for
compute-node-level HA monitoring. For guest-level HA monitoring, I would
say use Heat/Ceilometer. For container-level HA monitoring, it looks
like fleet or something like Kubernetes would be a good option.

I'm curious to see how the combination of compute-node-level HA and
container-level HA tools will work together in some of the proposed
deployment architectures (bare metal + docker containers w/ OpenStack
and infrastructure services run in a Kubernetes pod or CoreOS fleet).

Best,
-jay