[openstack-dev] [devstack] Question about the "OVS_PHYSICAL_BRIDGE" attribute defined in localrc

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 16 06:37:38 UTC 2014

I'm not sure about the exact reason, but this is what I think:

It's intended behavior, as adding an interface to a bridge is a
disruptive task. Here an example.

You want to add your eth0 interface that has an ip address assigned to
your bridge br-p1p1. You could do this with ovs-vsctl add-port br-p1p1
eth0. This causes your eth0 to become a slave of the bridge --> you
cannot use the eth0 device for communication anymore. So your host won't
be reachable over the network anymore! To solve this you have to take
away the ip configuration of your eth interface and put this config on
your br-p1p1. E.g ifconfig eth0 0; ifconfig br-p1p1 1.2.3.4/24
Now your host should be reachable again.

If eth0 is your only interface, I guess there's a big risk, that you
lock out yourself if this would be part of devstack.

Hope that helps

--
Andreas
(irc: scheuran)