[openstack-dev] [qa] "nova get-password" does not seem to work

Danny Choi (dannchoi) dannchoi at cisco.com
Wed Oct 15 15:02:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I used devstack to deploy Juno OpenStack.

I spin up an instance with cirros-0.3.2-x86_64-uec.

By default, useranme/password is cirrus/cubswin:)

When I execute the command “nova get-password”, nothing is returned.

localadmin at qa4:/etc/nova$ nova show vm1

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+

| Property                             | Value                                                          |

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+

| OS-DCF:diskConfig                    | MANUAL                                                         |

| OS-EXT-AZ:availability_zone          | nova                                                           |

| OS-EXT-STS:power_state               | 1                                                              |

| OS-EXT-STS:task_state                | -                                                              |

| OS-EXT-STS:vm_state                  | active                                                         |

| OS-SRV-USG:launched_at               | 2014-10-15T14:48:04.000000                                     |

| OS-SRV-USG:terminated_at             | -                                                              |

| accessIPv4                           |                                                                |

| accessIPv6                           |                                                                |

| config_drive                         |                                                                |

| created                              | 2014-10-15T14:47:56Z                                           |

| flavor                               | m1.tiny (1)                                                    |

| hostId                               | ea715752b11cf96b95f9742513a351d2d6571c4fdb76f497d64ecddb       |

| id                                   | 1a3c487e-c3a3-4783-bd0b-e3c87bf22c3f                           |

| image                                | cirros-0.3.2-x86_64-uec (1dda953b-9319-4c43-bd20-1ef75b491553) |

| key_name                             | cirros-key                                                     |

| metadata                             | {}                                                             |

| name                                 | vm1                                                            |

| os-extended-volumes:volumes_attached | []                                                             |

| private network                      | 10.0.0.11                                                      |

| progress                             | 0                                                              |

| security_groups                      | default                                                        |

| status                               | ACTIVE                                                         |

| tenant_id                            | c8daf9bd6dda40a982b074322c08da7d                               |

| updated                              | 2014-10-15T14:48:04Z                                           |

| user_id                              | 2cbbafae01404d4ebeb6e6fbacfa6546                               |

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+

localadmin at qa4:/etc/nova$ nova help get-password

usage: nova get-password <server> [<private-key>]

Get password for a server.

Positional arguments:

  <server>       Name or ID of server.

  <private-key>  Private key (used locally to decrypt password) (Optional).

                 When specified, the command displays the clear (decrypted) VM

                 password. When not specified, the ciphered VM password is

                 displayed.

localadmin at qa4:/etc/nova$ nova get-password vm1

                                      <<<<<[NOTHING RETURNED]

localadmin at qa4:/etc/nova$

Am I missing something?

Thanks,