[openstack-dev] [api] Forming the API Working Group

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Oct 14 15:22:52 UTC 2014

On Oct 14, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally think proposing patches to an openstack-api repository is the most effective way to make those proposals. Etherpads and wiki pages are fine for dumping content, but IMO, we don't need to dump content -- we already have plenty of it. We need to propose guidelines for *new* APIs to follow.

+1

I’m all for putting a stake in the ground (in the form of docs in a repo) and having people debate that. I think it results in a much more focused discussion as opposed to dumping content into an etherpad/wiki page and trying to wade through it. If people want to dump content somewhere and use that to help inform their contributions to the repo, that’s okay too.

Another big benefit of putting things in a repo is provenance. Guidelines like these can be...contentious...at times. Having a clear history of how a guideline got into a repo is very valuable as you can link newcomers who challenge a guideline to the history of how it got there, who approved it, and the tradeoffs that were considered during the review process. Of course, this is possible with etherpad/wiki too but it’s more difficult to reconstruct the history.

Everett