[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Mon Oct 13 23:46:24 UTC 2014

> *I think Adam is talking about this
> bp: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/evacuate-instance-automatically
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/evacuate-instance-automatically> *

Correct - yes. Sorry about that. ; )

So it would seem the question is not whether to support auto-evac but how
it should be handled. If not handled by Nova, it gets complicated. Asking a
user to configure a custom Nagios trigger/action... not sure if we'd
recommend that as our definition of ideal.

   - I can foresee Congress being used to control whether auto-evac is
   required and what other policies come into play by virtue of an unplanned
   host removal from service. But that seems like a bit overkill.
   - i can foresee Nova/scheduler being used to perform the evac itself.
   Are they still pushing back?
   - I can foresee Ceilometer being used to capture service state and
   define how long a node should be inaccessible before it's considered
   offline. But seems a bit out of scope for what ceilometer was meant to do.

I'm all about making this super easy to do a simple task though, at least
so the settings are all defined in one place. Nova seems logical but I'm
wondering if there is still resistance.

So curious; how are these higher-level discussions initiated/facilitated?
TC?

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street